Internet Activity 16: "BBC project saves endangered sounds"



Assignment: Listen to the PRI audio story here, then visit and play with the
Save Our Sounds Map

What sounds are new and foreign to you here in Miami, or in other parts of the U.S.A where you have visited? Think about the places in the world where you have traveled or the particular sounds that you would hear in your hometown. Spend a few minutes writing a free-form memory. Be prepared to share with the class. Here is an example...

When I think of my childhood sounds in my hometown, Spring, Texas, I think of cows mooing, the faraway cheers of a little league baseball park, the song of the ice cream man circling the neighborhood, train horns, and lawn mowers. I think some of these sounds are distinctly American. When I think of my time living abroad in China, I think of a clamor of vendors calling out their vegetable prices in the market, car horns, and the din of ballroom dance music in the evening park.

No comments:

Post a Comment